Silpakorn University is a higher education institution of the state under the original university system, formerly known as the School of Fine Arts, affiliated with the Department of Fine Arts. It provided free education in painting and sculpture to officials and students at that time.
Professor Silpa Bhirasri, originally named Corrado Feroci, an Italian who came to serve in Thailand during the reign of King Vajiravudh (Rama VI), founded this school. It has progressively developed and was eventually elevated to Silpakorn University on October 12, 1943. The Faculty of Painting, Sculpture, and Graphic Arts was established as the first faculty (currently known as the Faculty of Painting, Sculpture, and Printmaking). In 1955, the Faculty of Thai Architecture (which later revised its curriculum and changed its name to the Faculty of Architecture) and the Faculty of Archaeology were established.
Later, in 1997, Silpakorn University expanded its academic areas by establishing a new campus in Phetchaburi Province to disseminate education to the regions, named “Phetchaburi Information Technology Campus”. The Faculty of Information and Communication Technology was established in 2003.
Education at Silpakorn University uses a semester credit system, dividing one academic year into 2 semesters, with each semester lasting about 16 weeks.